Some foods that are edible by humans can cause hazards for dogs because of their different metabolism. Some may provoke only mild digestive upsets, whereas, others can cause severe illness and even death. The following food items should not be fed (intentionally or unintentionally) to dogs. This list is incomplete because it is not possible to list everything your dog should not eat.
- Alcoholic beverages - Can cause intoxication, coma and death.
- Avocado - The leaves, seeds, fruit and bark contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- Chocolate, coffee, tea - Contain caffeine, theobromine and theophylline, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea and be toxic to the heart and nervous systems.
- Citrus oil extracts - Can cause vomiting.
- Grapes, raisins and currants - Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.
- Onions and garlic - Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red (raw, cooked or powder) blood cells and cause anemia. Garlic is less toxic than onions.
- Mushrooms - Can contain toxins, which can affect multiple systems in the body, case shock and result in death.
- Sugary food - Can lead to obesity, dental problems and possible diabetes mellitus.
- Тable scraps (in large amounts) - Table scraps are not nutritionallty balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat.